We’ve had quite an interesting winter here in the Lower Mainland. With more snow than we’ve seen in years it’s important for everyone to be aware of the flooding risk imposed by quick melting.
This list of tips will help you protect your home to the best of your ability from flooding.
1. Fix leaks. Any foundation cracks allow water to get into your home easily. When water gets in, the structure of your home is weakened and creates a fantastic environment for mold to grow. Watch for signs of water damage and ensure you have them repaired immediately. Cracks in your foundation are a weak spot for water to enter your home should flooding occur in your area.
2. Clear gutters. Keep your gutters clear of leaves and debris. It’s ideal to clear your gutters every spring to remove any leaves, or debris. Clear gutters will allow water to freely flow away from your home instead of towards it. Debris and leaves can cause backup and allow water to pool closely to your home increasing your risk of flooding.
3. Check the storm drains on your street. As with your gutters, keep a close eye on the storm drains on your street. You want to ensure they are free and clear of branches, leaves and other debris. If you notice any build up clear it immediately to ensure the water has a place to flow freely away from your home and those in your neighbourhood.
4. Check your sump pump. Ensure your pump is in good working order. Most sumps are run off electricity so consider purchasing an extra battery operated pump to protect your home from water damage should you be without power. You can also buy affordable alarm systems to put inside your tank that will alert you when the water reaches a certain level. With large amounts of melting snow or even rain it’s important to check your sump regularly for proper operation.
5. Document your possessions. In the event you need to leave your home, it’s critical to have documentation of your possessions. Take photos or videos of all of your possessions to keep on hand. It never hurts to have a box of your most prized possessions ready to grab on your way out if you are in a high flood risk area. Documenting your possessions will make your water damage insurance claim easier to complete also.
Have you ever experienced flooding in your home? If so, what tips can you offer?
Follow us on Social Media!